Cupra Born charging issue with Zappi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie80

Reaction score
My husband's Cupra Born usually charges fine on our Zappi (except for that initial "reduce charging"). Last night though, it only charged at 2kW for 3.5 hours despite being set for 25kWh (usually gets 7kW). We tried everything - reboot, fast mode, you name it - but nothing worked. Luckily, my car was charged so he could use that for work.

Anyway, the charging cable looked a bit tight, not crazy tight but not hanging straight either. On a whim, I moved the car forward a tiny bit and then it started charging like normal! Anyone else experience this? Seems like a little tension on the socket can mess with charging rates?

My guess is that when the plug isn't seated properly and the locking pin doesn't engage, the charger goes into a limited power mode. This mode delivers around 1kW to prevent a full-power charge from happening if the plug gets accidentally disconnected. It basically allows for slow charging but prioritizes safety by avoiding potential sparks or damage from a loose connection.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. Been a while but the charging pin wasn't engaging properly, even though it looked like it was. I'm not sure if there were any error messages, since it all happened at midnight, and I'm not familiar with the Born's menus.

The charger has worked fine with both my Born and my MG, so I think it might just be a one-off issue. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Join the Cupra Born Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back